Changes, which were established with Official Newspaper law no. 29800 of 13.08.2016, are related to International Labor Law no. 6735 of 28.07.2016 and Law on Foreigners and International Protection law no. 6458 of 4.4.2014. With these changes, residence permit durations (on law no. 6458) have been extended and measures have been taken to reduce bureaucracy on process of residence permit transactions.
1. Duration of short-term residence permit, which was arranged up to 1 year, has been extended to 2 years,
2. Duration of family residence permit, which was arranged up to 2 years, has been extended to 3 years,
3. Clauses of cancellation for interruption of residence permit has been expected to modify by regulations.
4. It has been settled that residence permit applications can be arranged by authorized intermediaries.
5. Authorized Intermediaries have been defined as “an organization or institution that their duties and qualifications are determined by General Directorate.
6. Foreigners ,who does not work in Turkey, however, aim to invest due to scope and amount regulations of Council of Ministers, could have 5 years short time residence permit including their foreigners wife, their own children and their wife’s children ( under 18 years old or dependent ones )
7. Short-Term Residence Permit can be arranged up to 5 years for citizens of Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus.
8. Foreigners, who comes to Turkey through public organization or institutions in the aim of studying, could have residence permit during their education period.
9. Article 41 (Working Rights for Students) on law no. 6458 has been changed as: (Foreign) Students attending an associate, undergraduate, graduate or post graduate programme in Turkey may work, provided that they obtain a work permit. However the right of work for associate or undergraduate students starts after the first year and is settled through related laws.
10. Second sentence of Article 27 on law no 6458 has been abolished: “Pursuant to the Law on Fees, a residence permit fee equivalent to the duration of their work permit shall be collected from foreigner granted a work permit or Work Permit Exemption Confirmation Document.